Saturday, September 8, 2012

Glass Blowing Class!

My friend's wedding was over Labor Day weekend. So, everlasting love, blah blah blah whatever. My friend being all nervous and excited to see his bride. LAME.*

But what was REALLY awesome was that AV and I went to a GLASS BLOWING STUDIO AND MADE PAPERWEIGHTS.

We went to Marble City Glassworks in Knoxville. We didn't realize it was in somebody's personal studio so we were pretty confused when the address matched up to a house rather than some sort of industrial setting. But once we got into the studio, we figured out it was pretty sweet.



Who would have thought that molten glass would make the studio so so hot? Obviously not me who sweated through all their underwear. Too much information? Probably.

AV and I got to make TWO paperweights each. It was amazing. Seriously. It was THE. BEST.

We worked with Matt, who was fabulous, patient and so so helpful. I seriously cannot say enough about how awesome this experience was. We're going to have to go back so we can actually make some blown glass!

Here's AV rounding out his paperweight!



I'll post photos when we get our finished paperweights. The studio has to ship them to us because it didn't occur to me that the glass would have to take a couple of days to cool from being MOLTEN. So get excited for those!

Tip: Do NOT try to touch the glass at any point... It might look like super awesome taffy or ice or something fabulous to touch. BUT IT IS NOT. IT IS NOT AWESOME TO TOUCH.

I cannot say this enough... IT IS NOT AWESOME TO TOUCH THE GLASS. NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT.

But in all seriousness, if you are in the Knoxville area, look up Marble City Glassworks. No joke. They offer private two hour classes where you'll experience something totally unlike the art you've ever done before.

Cheers!
Red


*Okay, just to clarify, I am totally kidding.... My friend and his wife were adorable and I am so so happy for them. I just wanted to throw that up there for those kids who have no sense of humor :)

No comments:

Post a Comment